- To Learn With a motto to 'reach out and reach all', NIOS follows the principle of freedom to learn i.e., what to learn, when to learn, how to learn and when to appear in the examination is decided by you. There is no restriction of time, place and pace of learning.
- The NIOS provides flexibility with respect to :
- Choice of Subjects: You can choose subjects of your choice from the given list keeping in view the passing criteria.
- Admission : You can take admission Online under various streams or through Study Centres at Secondary and Senior Secondary levels.
- Examination: Public Examinations are held twice a year. Nine examination chances are offered in five years. You can take any examination during this period when you are well prepared and avail the facility of credit accumulation also.
- On Demand Examination : You can also appear in the On-Demand Examination (ODES) of NIOS at Secondary and Senior Secondary levels at the Headquarter at NOIDA as and when you are ready for the examination.
- The NIOS courses and programmes are functional, useful in daily life and also set the pathway for further studies.
- Successful alumni of NIOS are pursuing higher studies in IITs, Delhi University, Jamia Hamdard, Jamia Millia Islamia, Aligarh Muslim University, Punjab University, Allahabad University and many other reputed and professional institutions.
4. Transfer of Credits
- The NIOS acknowledges previous knowledge by allowing transfer of credits upto two subjects passed from some of the Boards of Examination / State Open Schools.
5. Recognised Quality Education
- The NIOS takes conscious steps to provide quality education. The Govt. of India has vested authority with NIOS to conduct Public Examinations and provide Secondary and Senior Secondary level certificates, which are equivalent to the certificates provided by any other Board. NIOS is one of the National Boards like CBSE and CISCE.